Collagen is one of the most important substances that make up the human body. Comprising 30% of all the protein in your body, and 70% of the protein in your skin, collagen plays a very important role in the structure of almost every tissue in our bodies. It is the scaffolding or building blocks for cells, tissues and organs. In the skin specifically, the amino acids of collagen are responsible for the skin’s flexibility and elasticity…in other words…how young it looks! In other soft tissues of the body like muscles, tendons and ligaments, collagen is also responsible for the strength, flexibility, and elasticity. Even in the not-so-soft tissues (like bone) collagen plays a vital role.
Our bodies produce collagen naturally, but as we age, our production decreases. The rate of decrease is about 1% a year, and women tend to produce less than men. Generally by about 50 years old, we have lost about 50% of the collagen in our skin. Supplementation with collagen has been shown to be very effective in counteracting these effects.
So what are the benefits of supplementing our bodies with collagen? Well here are the ones supported by research:
- Increased ability to regulate bone density
- Increased healing ability of muscles, bones, and ligaments
- Increased elasticity and strength of the skin leading to decreased wrinkles
- Reduction of symptoms of osteoarthritis
- Increased digestive support for leaky gut syndrome and associated auto-immune disorders
- Helps management of ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s, IBS, and reflux
- Improved health of hair and nails
- Reduced appearance of cellulite
- Improved circulation
- Decreased healing time of injuries
- Decreased food intolerances and allergies
- Boosting of the immune system
- promoting of pro-biotic balance and growth
As you can see, the list is massive, and if we were to add the less-researched potential benefits of collagen, then the list would double. The reality is that collagen is an absolutely essential part of almost every cell and tissue in our bodies. Because it decreases with age, and because we can easily replenish it through the proper supplementation, it seems like an easy decision to make sure collagen becomes a staple of our diets as we age.
So where can we get collagen??
The collagen contained in the gelatin of our BONED broth is different than the collagen you might find in the supplement store. When extracted naturally, as with our process, the collagen is more pure, more potent, and more easily absorbed in our bodies. There is no processing required! There isn’t an easier way to get the youthful and regenerative effects of collagen supplementation than drinking BONED Broth Company’s delicious recipes. Go to Boned Broth to see the other benefits of broth!