Yield: serves 8 (will freeze well)
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken bone broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 bunch of scallions; 2 sliced, remaining left whole
- Optional Cilantro, roasted peanuts, toasted coconut, sriracha and lime wedges, for serving
Place chicken, bone broth, rice, garlic, ginger, salt and whole scallions in a slow cooker, stir to combine.
Cover and cook until chicken is falling off the bone and rice has a porridge-like consistency, 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high.
Discard ginger and scallions if you like.
Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred meat; discard skin and bones. Stir chicken back into rice mixture.
Top congee with sliced scallions, cilantro, peanuts, coconut
*** If not cooking in a slow cooker, you can cook the chicken first then shred or combine other ingredients after to cook.