1 lb chicken breast fillet (4 fillets)
1 tablespoon olive oil
10 cups water
2 cups chicken bone broth
1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
1 potato, peeled & chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup canned diced tomato
1 (15 ounces) can red kidney beans, plus liquid
1⁄4 cup diced canned pimiento
1 jalapeno, diced
1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 dash basil
1 dash oregano
ON THE SIDE
1 pinch chopped Italian parsley
grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Sauté the chicken breasts in the olive oil in a large pot over medium/high heat.
- Cook the chicken on both sides until done– about 7-10 minutes per side.
- Cool the chicken until it can be handled.
- Do not rinse the pot.
- Shred the chicken by hand into bite-sizes pieces and place the pieces back into the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and turn heat to high.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 hours.
- Stir mixture often so that many of the chicken pieces shred into much smaller bits.
- Chili should reduce substantially to thicken and darken (less orange, browner) when done.
- Combine some chopped Italian parsley with sour cream and serve it on the side for topping the chili, if desired.