* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 container chicken boned broth
* 2 cups milk (I used whipping cream)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 4 pounds Gold Potatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
* 1 1/2 cups freshly-grated sharp cheddar
* or yellow and white cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Stir in the flour until it is evenly combined and saute for an additional 1-minute. Pour in the bone broth and whisk until combined. Add in the milk or whipping cream, salt, pepper, and whisk until combined. Continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until the sauce comes to a simmer (not a boil) and thickens. Then remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter. Then spread half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Top evenly with half of the cream sauce, the sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheddar cheese. Top evenly with the remaining sliced potatoes, the remaining half of the cream sauce, and the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the potatoes are cooked through.