This comforting Chicken Arrozcaldo or Chicken Rice Porridge has been a favourite Filipino snack. What? Rice for a snack? The truth is, it is. Even in some places where the weather is really warm, they still like eating this dish, but it may be eaten more during the cold and rainy season. Chicken Arroz Caldo resembles the Chinese congee or Italian risotto and in our recipe, we used our chicken BONED Broth and adapted from different recipes on the internet.
Why is it yellow, you ask? The Filipino dish uses safflower, a more affordable version of saffron. It does not change the dish completely but gives a slight change in the taste of porridge without it (for us). What Makes Arroz Caldo Yellow?
If you can’t find safflower/saffron, you still can create this dish. Try this Arroz Caldo Recipe and let us know what you think.
TIP – To make your Arroz Caldo look and taste better, try topping it with some safflower, toasted garlic, or chilli-garlic and scallions — squeeze half a lemon and you are done.
Comforting Chicken Arroz Caldo
- 1 ½ lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 ½ cups rice uncooked, washed
- About 1 litre Chicken BONED Broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup onion minced
- 4 pieces eggs hard-boiled (optional)
- 1 cup scallions green onions, minced
- 2 knobs ginger julienned
- 3 tbsp saffron/safflower (optional)
- 1 piece lemon or 4 pieces calamansi
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Water, if the porridge is too thick or heavy for your liking.
- Chili-garlic on the side
In a pot, heat the cooking oil then saute the garlic, onion, and ginger and dash in some ground black pepper
- Put in the chicken and cook until the outer layer colour turns golden brown
Add the fish sauce and uncooked rice then mix and cook for a few minutes
Pour in the chicken BONED Broth and stir occasionally and simmer until the rice is fully cooked (about 30 to 40 minutes)
- Add the safflower/saffron for additional colour and aroma
Serve hot with garlic, minced scallions, and lemon. Share and Enjoy!