Made with little and simple ingredients, this nourishing cabbage soup with bone broth is ready in under an hour. To make this simple cabbage soup you only need fresh cabbage, onions, canned tomatoes, carrots, chicken bone broth, and a few spices.
If you’d like to add more veggies or meat to this recipe, you can easily do so. We just ate our bowl of soup with chili flakes or coconut sriracha and some bread. Our bread, “Pandesal,” was given by friends, but you can have dinner rolls or any other bread you’d like to go with the cabbage soup with bone broth.
Recipe adapted from simplyrecipes.com
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large carrot or 2 medium carrots
- 4 to 5 cups, packed, 1/4-inch wide sliced green cabbage (from about 1 small cabbage or 1/2 large cabbage)
- 1 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups Chicken BONED Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
** You can add whatever herbs and spices that would suit your taste if you want to make it italian, middle eastern. This soup can be flexible.
- Heat olive oil and butter on medium heat then add the chopped onion (and stir in the ground spices if you have them). Cook until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, carrots and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Pour the Chicken BONED Broth and add salt to taste.
- Lower the heat and cover the pot and let it simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cabbage is thoroughly cooked, breaking up the whole tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to serve.