Yield: serves 8 (will freeze well)
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken bone broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 bunch of scallions; 2 sliced, remaining left whole
- Optional Cilantro, roasted peanuts, toasted coconut, sriracha and lime wedges, for serving
Place chicken, bone broth, rice, garlic, ginger, salt and whole scallions in a slow cooker, stir to combine.
Cover and cook until chicken is falling off the bone and rice has a porridge-like consistency, 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high.
Discard ginger and scallions if you like.
Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred meat; discard skin and bones. Stir chicken back into rice mixture.
Top congee with sliced scallions, cilantro, peanuts, coconut and sriracha. Serve with lime wedges.
*** If not cooking in a slow cooker, you can cook the chicken first then shred or combine other ingredients after to cook.
Here’s a nutrient dense and delicious Kitchen Sink Soup (Vegetable Beef Soup) from Savoring Traditions 😋
If you’re doing Whole30, Grass fed beef; red, yellow and green bell peppers; onions; loads of garlic; carrots; celery; potatoes; mushrooms; tomato paste; bone broth; red wine; herbs; red pepper flakes; salt.
Start to finish: 1 hour
4 (12-ounce) bone-in split chicken breasts, trimmed, brined if desired
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large shallot, minced
3/4 cup chicken bone broth
1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces and chilled
Salt and pepper
For the chicken: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 F. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in 12-inch oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook breasts, skin side down, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Flip breasts and brown lightly on second side, about 3 minutes. Flip breasts skin side down, transfer skillet to oven, and roast until chicken registers 160 F, 15 to 18 minutes.
Remove skillet from oven (skillet handle will be hot). Transfer chicken to serving dish and let rest while making sauce.
For the sauce: Being careful of hot skillet handle, pour off all but 1 teaspoon fat left in skillet. Add shallot and cook over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, vermouth, and thyme sprigs, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until thickened and measures 2/3 cup, about 6 minutes.
Discard thyme sprigs and stir in any accumulated chicken juices. Reduce heat to low and whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time. Off heat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.
CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP
by RISA GROUX NUTRITION
~1-2 tablespoons ghee
~3 garlic cloves, minced
~1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
~10oz Crimini mushrooms, sliced
~10oz white mushrooms, sliced
~3-5oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
~4-6 cups bone broth
~1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
~Celtic sea salt and pepper to taste
In a soup pan on medium heat, melt ghee and add garlic, onion and all mushrooms and stir occasionally until all contents are soft. Add bone broth and heat until cooked through (approx. 10 minutes). Using a hand or regular blender, blend soup until smooth. Add thyme, sea salt and pepper.
1 lb chicken breast fillet (4 fillets)
1 tablespoon olive oil
10 cups water
2 cups chicken bone broth
1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
1 potato, peeled & chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup canned diced tomato
1 (15 ounces) can red kidney beans, plus liquid
1⁄4 cup diced canned pimiento
1 jalapeno, diced
1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 dash basil
1 dash oregano
ON THE SIDE
1 pinch chopped Italian parsley
grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Sauté the chicken breasts in the olive oil in a large pot over medium/high heat.
- Cook the chicken on both sides until done– about 7-10 minutes per side.
- Cool the chicken until it can be handled.
- Do not rinse the pot.
- Shred the chicken by hand into bite-sizes pieces and place the pieces back into the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and turn heat to high.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 hours.
- Stir mixture often so that many of the chicken pieces shred into much smaller bits.
- Chili should reduce substantially to thicken and darken (less orange, browner) when done.
- Combine some chopped Italian parsley with sour cream and serve it on the side for topping the chili, if desired.